Wikipedia Reference Information
Partick (formerly Perdyc or Perthick) is an area of Glasgow on the north bank of the River Clyde, just across from Govan. To the west lies Whiteinch. Partick was a Police burgh from 1852 until 1912 when it was incorporated into the city.
Although Partick remained a village until the middle of the 18th century, it is an ancient place. The Kings of Strathclyde had a residence there, and in 1136 David I (1124-53) granted the lands of Perdyc to the see of Glasgow. The Bishops of Glasgow had a country seat in Partick. It was later the site of Partick Castle, a country home of George Hutcheson (demolished 1836). It is thought the name comes from the Brythonic "Peartoc" (cf. Welsh perth, 'shit or excrement'), adopted into Scottish Gaelic as "Peart(h)aig", giving modern Gaelic "Pearraig" or "Partaig" (the latter form in use on signage at Partick station).
Partick is the area of the city most connected with the Highlands, and several Gaelic agencies, such as the Gaelic Books Council are based here. Even the ATMs dislay some Gaelic in the area.
It is historically divided into three social areas; south of Dumbarton Road (working-class), north of Dumbarton Road (aspiring classes) and the Partick Hill grand villas (location of shipyard owners). Being within the sphere of influence of the University of Glasgow and neighbouring Glasgow's salubrious 'West-End' it has a high student population. Traditional industries for the area were shipbuilding and the huge Meadowside Granary (recently demolished to make way for the new Glasgow Harbour residential development) employed many residents also. The main street in Partick, Dumbarton Road, has a number of services for residents to use.
A recent up turn in the Glaswegian housing market has seen Partick increasingly become a desirable location and refurbishment and new housing programmes within the area have helped further this process.
Partick is home to the West of Scotland Cricket Club's Hamilton Crescent ground, which was the site of the first ever international football match (between Scotland and England) on November 30, 1872. It finished 0-0.
Partick Thistle Football Club were formed in the area in 1876, but left to play in the Maryhill area of Glasgow in 1909.
The well known comedian Billy Connolly was a Partick resident as a child. William Douglas Whittaker was also a resident as a child.
Partick railway station is a trunk station serving as an interchange between the local rail, Glasgow Subway and local bus systems. As well as being the fifth busiest train station in Scotland, it is the only transport hub to connect three different types of public transport. It replaced the former Partickhill railway station in 1979.
There were previously three other stations in the area, Partick Central railway station (renamed Kelvin Hall station in 1959), Merkland Street and Partick West railway station.
Kelvinhall subway station is also located in Partick at the eastern end of the district near the intersection of Dumbarton Road and Byres Road.
The Partick interchange is currently being redeveloped due to its immense potential as a top-class interchange not only between Rail, Bus and Subway but also as the main interchange station between the Argyle and North Clyde rail lines.
The complete, up-to-date and editable article about Partick can be found at Wikipedia: Partick